When looking for a diamond necklace or diamond ring, there are certain things people always look for. Primarily: Size, color and shape. But what about brilliance? This is the definite trait one should look for in a diamond, because it constitutes the essential value of it. A big diamond with no brilliance is a sad state of affairs, akin to buying a diamond based drill, putting it on a chain and calling it jewelry. And what gives a diamond its brilliance? Well, the different types of Diamond Cuts that are used, of course.
A diamond cut constitutes a more or less symmetrical arrangement of facets, which together modify the shape and appearance of a diamond crystal. Diamond cutters must consider several factors, such as the shape and size of the crystal, when choosing a cut.
The most popular of diamond cuts is the modern round brilliant. Also popular are the fancy cuts, which come in a variety of shapes, many of which were derived from the round brilliant. Here are the most common fancy cuts:
Fancy Diamond Cuts
• Princess. - Princess cuts are square or rectangular brilliant cuts and are more or less the norm when it comes to fancy diamond cuts.
• Radiant. - Radiant cuts are square or rectangular mixed cuts with angled corners. Because of the angled corners, Radiant cuts lack the setting issues of sharply cornered Princess cuts.
• Emerald. - The Emerald cut is a step cut with angled corners and rows of pavilion and crown facets that run parallel to the girdle.
• Asscher. - The Asscher is a step cut with angled corners and rows of pavilion and crown facets that run parallel to the girdle.
• Cushion. - Cushion cuts are square or rectangular brilliant cuts with rounded corners and curved sides, a pillow-like shape. Hence the word, “cushion”.
• Oval.-Like the name implies, an Oval cut is an elliptical shaped brilliant cut.
• Marquise. - The Marquise cut is an elliptical shaped brilliant cut with pointed ends.
• Pear. - Pear Diamond Cuts are rounded on one end with a tapering point on the other, like a teardrop. Pear cuts are known for their brilliance and elegance. A consumer favorite when it comes to diamond cuts
• Trillion. - Triangular Brilliants are mixed cuts with three equally straight or slightly curved sides. They are normally shallow and are often cut from flattened, triangular rough called macles.
Well, we hope this has helped you understand a little bit of what Diamond Cuts are all about. Be sure to share this with friends and family, and Contact us if you’re interested in a wide variety of diamonds. Until next time, see you later!
- Breitling Watches
- Cartier Jewelry
- chanel watches
- hublot watches miami
- IWC Watches
- Men's Jewelry
- Men's Watches
- Michael Kors
- Panerai Watches Miami
- Raymond Weil
- Rolex Watches
- TW Steel
- Uno de 50
- Women's Jewelry
- Women's Watches